Thursday, June 7, 2012

Books Review | Letters to Sam by Daniel Gottlieb

Okay after one whole sem (plus one sem break), finally I finished reading this book.....

Tadaaaa! Letters to Sam. 
another non-fiction I bought following 'Tuesday with Morrie'. Haven't been doing a book review for LOONNNGGGG. The previous one was like half a year ago ('Love the One You're With'), review of a non-fiction?? Nearly a year ('The Last Lecture').


Letters to Sam is talking about Dan, a grandpa, his love towards his grandson, Sam, who was diagnosed with autism. About the whole life lessons he wished to pass to Sam, and addressed life challenges we all face.

Dan has been paralyzed from the neck down for more than 25 years ago, this book as well includes the hardship he himself faced. He wrote all these letters with the hope that Sam would one day be able to read them, through them and get to know his grandpa.


Dan ended this book with this wonderful poem called "Guest House".

He wrote

"Sadness, joy, love, anguish, passion, and serenity are all pieces of life- the very texture of this gift called life. Rumi challenges us to welcome all those emotions, all those sorrows and joys, into our being."

as stated in the poem, "Meet them at the door laughing, and invite them in."

That's the REAL way how you deal with your emotions.


NOT this...
I felt real shame on something which happened within the past 24 hours. 

I always know that one shall not reveal or open up your true emotion to 'anyone' simply. Over the years, I used to bottom up my feelings, even to the closest friends. They are well aware of my 'behavior' and never really get crossed it. (I'm blessed, they will always be there whenever I need them.) I believe most of the people have a small hidden part staying deep down your heart, away from being intruded. There's where your secrets stored, where I used to lock it away. 

Everyone does have something they don't wish others to know, wanting to keep it to yourself. Your memories, your old past stories, your dark secrets, your weight? LOL 

Anyway, you never wanted them to be revealed on public, not to mention a TWISTED story of you. How scary is that huh? Try to think about it.

You never hurt your friends, your loved ones. Even in a joke that's barely accepted. 

Sometimes, you don't know how much the words would hurt someone. Maybe you haven't learnt how powerful words are. In this game 'you' probably are the winner, but look at the whole story, I highly doubt that. 'You' didn't care others' feelings AT ALL, 'you' might feel relieve after venting out, might solve the problems in front of your eyes, BUT 'you' created hell lot of shits to others. Is this a fair game? I don't see it.

'You' wished for a life you desired, in the meanwhile 'you' messed the hell outta others. 


"So many of us grown-ups suffer because we are trying to live the life we once had or the life we wish for, you (Sam) reminded me that day that life is much sweeter when we live the life we have."



I bet most people would understand. Many of us would listen. I don't get it, why you chose this way? It's real saddening, shocking too.


What am I talking about?? Getting confused. Mind fucked larrrrrr.

I need to stop here - -




"When my mind went to the past and what I had lost, I felt pain.
When my mind went to the future and what I longed for, I felt pain too."



I somehow can feel the pain of Dan. Not of his disability, but some of his thoughts. I like this book, not a lot as I like 'the last lecture' and 'tuesday with morrie' but every reading makes me to gain something. 

Maybe that's why I love reading.


especially like the prologue of this book:

"To my precious grandson Sam and all the "Sams" in the world. May their vulnerability open our hearts so that they can find care and we can find compassion."


enjoy reading.

xoxo
Ee


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi there,
are u malaysian?
where did u get u copy of Letter to Sam?
TQ.

Ee said...

Hi annon,
yes i'm malaysian. I bought it from Harris Popular.
hv a nice day!:)
love,